In Clarity Human Services, a Program (or Project in the HMIS Data Standards) represents a unit of an Agency (or Organization) in which a client or household enrolls. Program enrollments provide the framework for HMIS data collection and reporting.
To enroll a client or household in a Program, click the PROGRAMS tab in the client record. The tab contains two sections: PROGRAMS: AVAILABLE and PROGRAM HISTORY.
The PROGRAMS: AVAILABLE section lists programs provided by your agency that are available for client enrollment.
To enroll a client/household into a Program, click the down arrow next to the applicable Program title. Additional information and options will display.
Include Group Members
If you have created a family/household for the client, you will be prompted to select family/household members to include in the enrollment. Click the toggle(s) next to the family member(s) who should be enrolled in the Program.
If there is an "open" referral to the Program, a Program Placement a result of Referral provided by (referring agency) toggle will display. Toggle this on to create a Referral Connection within the associated referral.
Click ENROLL to display the Program Enrollment screen for your original client.
All program enrollments have an associated Program Enrollment screen. The Program Enrollment screen is the equivalent of an intake or entry form; it contains data fields to record client information.
Enrollment screens for Permanent Housing (PH) projects will include a Housing Move-In Date field that should be completed when the client moves into a PH unit. The Housing Move-In Date must be on or between the Program Start Date and Program Exit Date.
Click SAVE & CLOSE to complete the enrollment.
NOTE: If you are enrolling other household/family members, you will see a SAVE & NEXT button. Clicking this button will enroll the current member and automatically take you to the correct Program Enrollment screen for the next member.
The screen that appears next depends on the following:
- If the Current Living Situation assessment is required upon enrollment for that Program, the Assessments tab will display.
- If Manage Units is enabled for the Program, the Units tab will display (except when the Current Living Situation assessment is required).
- Otherwise, the Provide Services screen will display.
If the Program has been configured with Default Goals or Auto Service Placement, a pop-up will appear on the Provide Services screen that lists all the actions the system conducted automatically upon enrollment.
Additional Enrollment Information
Once you save the enrollment, additional information will display in the sidebar.
The information box contains the following Program enrollment information:
- Number of days the client has been enrolled in the Program
- Program Type (group or individual)
- Program Start Date
- Program End Date (if applicable)
- Assigned Staff (the staff member who enrolled the client into the Program)
- Head of Household
If a client is no longer active in the Program, a red DAYS INACTIVE PROGRAM banner appears across the top of the box to indicate the number of days the client was active in the Program.
Program Group Members
This section allows you to directly access the client record for any group member included in the enrollment. Selecting the Edit link will take you to the History tab of that group member's enrollment.
Clicking the PROGRAMS tab displays the PROGRAM HISTORY section, which lists the client's current and past Program enrollments.
The PROGRAM HISTORY section displays the following details that also appear with an enrollment in the History tab :
Program/Agency: the program and agency name of the enrollment program.
Start/End Dates: the Program Entry Date and (if applicable) Program Exit Date for each enrollment. If the client is still enrolled in the Program, the End Date will display as "Active."
Referral Placement: A chain-link icon indicates that the program enrollment resulted from a referral. Hover over the icon to display the name of the agency that created the referral and the date the referral was made.
- Program Type: The enrollment program's Type.
- Primary Agency: An icon indicates that the enrollment was created by a staff member when switched into a different agency. Click the icon to display the staff member's primary agency.
In addition, the PROGRAM HISTORY section displays:
- Type: whether the client was enrolled in the Program as a group with household members or as an individual.
Editing an Enrollment
To edit a program enrollment, hover over the program row and click the Edit icon.
If the Program is outside of your agency, your ability to edit it depends on your sharing settings. If you have any questions about your sharing settings, please consult with your system administrator for details.
Clicking the Edit icon will take you to the History tab of the enrollment, which contains Program Service History. Your access to other tabs (Enrollment, Provide Services, Assessments, Goals, Notes, Files, Forms, Units, and Exit) depends on the Program's configuration and your access role settings.
The Units tab, which appears if Manage Units is enabled for the Program, displays occupancy history as it relates to that enrollment, along with the ability to move a client from one Unit to another and the ability to historically connect a client to a Unit.
Any user with access to view enrollment details can view the client's occupancy details. To edit or add occupancy details as described below, users must have Edit Enrollment-based Unit Records enabled in the Edit Rights section of their Access Role.
Note: An enrollment can have more than occupancy per Unit, but occupancy dates should not overlap.
The EDIT UNIT pop-up appears. Edit the date(s) as needed, then click ADD.
To add a new Unit connection to an enrollment, click ADD UNIT.
The ADD UNIT pop-up appears.
The Available Units drop-down menu displays a list of Units that meet the following criteria:
- Units that are active and available during the entire time frame entered.
- Units associated with this Program.
- If the Site agency is different from the Program agency, the system will list Units that are connected to the Program agency.
- Units that do not currently have a client referral.
- Units for which the client is eligible (unless you turn on the Eligibility override toggle).
- The system will evaluate eligibility according to all assessments connected to the client record that the user has access to view.
- If multiple versions of an assessment exist, the system will look at the one with the most recent assessment date.
Select the desired Unit, enter a Start Date for the occupancy, enter an End Date if applicable, and click ADD.
Note: If you enter an End Date, keep the following in mind:
- The End Date cannot be after the Program Exit Date.
- Where the End Date is a future date:
- If an enrollment is exited with a date before the occupancy End Date, the occupancy End Date will update to match the Program Exit Date, and the following warning will be displayed on the Exit screen: "The unit occupancy end date will be updated to match the entered enrollment exit date. Please confirm."
- If the Program Exit Date is after the occupancy End Date, the occupancy End Date will not be adjusted based on the exit date.
After you click ADD, the system will connect the client to this Unit if the following are true:
- The Unit exists on or before the entered occupancy Start Date.
- The Unit is online and unoccupied for the full occupancy period.
- The client meets today's eligibility, plus eligibility based on future Unit configurations assigned to the Unit.
A pop-up will warn that you can't undo a record deletion and that any applicable group member records should be updated where necessary.