Staff members can upload, manage, and share files within client records in Clarity Human Services. Files can be shared between agencies or kept private. There's no limit to the number or format of files staff members can upload.
Some examples of how an agency might use this feature include:
- Uploading third party documentation of homelessness
- Scanning and storing forms of client identification
- Keeping agency agreements and signed policies
- Sharing files as part of the community's Coordinated Entry process
Data Collection Requirements
- There are no requirements around file uploads in the HUD HMIS Data Standards. There may, however, be local programmatic requirements.
Staff Member Settings
- The rights enabled in a staff member's Access Role impact their ability to view, edit, and delete files.
Agency and Program Settings
- An agency's assigned Navigation Profile impacts its staff members' access to the client-level FILES tab.
- The sharing of files with other agencies is subject to the uploading agency's Files sharing settings. Additionally, if the uploading agency's Files sharing setting is "Basic Shared" or "Full Shared" with another agency, but Service/Programs/Assessments Placed is "Not Shared", staff members at the shared-with agency will only see files from the client level FILES tab.
- To access the Files tab within a program enrollment, toggle on Program Files for the enrolling program.
- System administrators can customize File Categories in System Settings Advanced Options.
Staff members can upload files within (or link to) a program enrollment or from the client level FILES tab.
Accessing the FILES Tab
To view, edit, or upload agency-level files:
- If applicable, switch into the correct agency.
- Navigate to the FILES tab within the client record.
Viewing Previously Uploaded Files
Files that staff members at your agency (or the agency you're switched into) or shared with your agency display the following information from the FILES tab:
- Category and Name
- Name and agency of the staff member who uploaded the file
- Date of upload
- Size of the file
You can view and download the existing file by clicking its icon. Subject to User Role rights, you may be able to edit the details or upload a new version of the file by clicking Modify File or delete the file by clicking Delete File.
Uploading New Files
To upload a new file:
- Click ADD FILE.
- Select the most appropriate Category and Name for the file. Indicate if the file should be private. By toggling on the Private switch, the uploaded file is not shared with staff members at other agencies, regardless of your agency's sharing settings (for more information, see Making Client Data Private).
- Click Select File to upload the file from your computer or device. If you're unable to upload the file by clicking Select File, you can use the Basic Uploader.
- Files uploaded to a client record from the client level Files tab will not be associated with a program enrollment unless linked to (described below).
- The maximum size per file is 4MB.
Accessing Program Files
To view, edit, upload, or link files within an enrollment:
- Either create a new enrollment or navigate to an existing program enrollment within the client record.
- Within the enrollment, navigate to the Files tab.
Note: You can only upload and link files for an enrollment to a program within your agency or the agency you're switched into.
From the program enrollment Files tab, you'll have the option of either adding a new file or linking a previously uploaded file from the client-level FILES tab.
Linking Files to an Enrollment
Linking a client-level file to an enrollment displays the file within the program enrollment Files tab and allows the file to be reportable as linked to the enrollment.
Note: Client-level files can be linked to multiple enrollments.
To link a file to an enrollment:
- Click LINK FROM FILES.
- Select one or more files previously uploaded from the client level FILES tab and click LINK & CLOSE.
Note: To link to a file uploaded by a staff member at another agency, that agency's Files sharing setting must be "Basic Shared" or "Full Shared."
A file uploaded within (or linked to) an enrollment is also visible from the client level FILES tab and displays with a icon that, when hovered over, displays the programs to which the file is linked.
Note: When a staff member deletes a file linked to an enrollment from the client level FILES tab, it's also deleted from the enrollment and vice versa.