The Referrals functionality in Clarity Human Services allows users to refer clients directly to programs and to Community Queues, where referrals are triaged and prioritized. The configuration options within Referral Settings allow system administrators to customize how users interact with the referral process, allowing communities to tailor their information system to match their system of care.
Configurations system administrators make in Referral Settings impact the way both direct referrals and Community Queues referrals function. This article shows you how to access Referral Settings and introduces you to its main components.
- Only system administrators have access to Referral Settings.
- Understanding the referrals process is foundational for understanding Referral Settings. We strongly recommend reading our Introduction to Making Referrals article.
To access Referral Settings, click the launchpad and navigate to SETUP > SETTINGS, then click Referral Settings in the Advanced Options sidebar.
System administrators can edit but not delete the system “Default” referral settings. In the absence of additional referral settings, the configurations system administrators make to the “Default” settings apply systemwide.
Different Continuums of Care or groups of agencies using the same system may require distinct referral processes. If this is the case, you can create additional referral settings. Whether system administrators establish different referral settings at the CoC or Sharing Group-level is defined by the Coordinated Entry Type system administrators select in System Setup Settings.
To create additional referral settings, click ADD NEW REFERRAL SETTINGS.
Select the appropriate CoC or Sharing Group and complete the configuration options outlined below.
The REFERRAL SETTINGS screen appears, with a list of settings to enable as appropriate.
Note: the initial configuration of a new Referral Setting mirrors the settings in Default.
For details on the Community Referral Queue setting, refer to our Referral Settings: Community Queue article.
The following settings impact all referrals for the CoC or Sharing Group, regardless of whether Community Referral Queue is enabled. You may find it helpful to toggle these settings on and off to see which additional settings are associated with each.
Pending Referral Notifications: when this setting is enabled, the system notifies specific users if referrals assigned to an agency are pending and/or in-process for more than the specified time or specified frequency. If you turn on this setting, the following additional settings will be displayed:
- Notification Frequency: select whether the system will send notifications daily or weekly.
- Notify Days in Pending: select how many days should pass after a referral’s Status is set as “Pending” before users start receiving the notification.
- Notify Days in Process: select how many days should pass after a referral’s Status is set as “Pending - In Process” before users start receiving the notification.
Contact Information Warning: when this setting is enabled, the system displays a message in the Client Profile if there is no contact information in the client record and the client has an active Community Queue or pending program referral. Users can click on the notification and add information in the CONTACT tab.
Referral Dashboards: displays the Dashboards tab in REFERRALS. System administrators can configure one or multiple dashboards to display. See Referral Settings: Dashboards for more information.
Persistent Management: enables the Unit Queue, which allows you to refer clients to a specific Unit based on Unit Eligibility criteria and Unit availability.
Click ADD RECORD when you are done. Two sections appear:
- TRACKED CHARACTERISTICS: this feature allows system administrators to create referral conditions, providing an additional layer of filtering for referrals. For more information, see Tracked Characteristics.
- DENIAL NOTIFICATION EXTENSIONS: this section allows you to include text in denial notification emails that is customized according to the reason for denial.
- Click ADD NEW EXTENSION.
- Select a Denial Reason.
- Type the desired message and click SAVE CHANGES.
- Repeat as needed for additional denial reasons.
All other settings are specific to Community Queue functionality. For more information, see Referral Settings: Community Queue.