Once a Service has been created, at least one Service Item must be associated with it for the service to be operational. Service Items represent unique units of a service that can be recorded in a client record. Multiple service items can be associated with a single service.
Creating a Service Item
After creating a service, click ADD ITEM in the SERVICE ITEMS section of the SERVICES: DETAIL page.
Complete the fields in the SERVICES: ITEM DETAIL section as appropriate.
Item Title: This is the name of the service item; it will be displayed in the client record when a staff member records a service.
Note: Item Title can't include the < symbol (e.g. "<Test Item").
Category: This field typically appears when you create a service item within service categories in conjunction with federal funding partner data collection requirements. Select the appropriate category from the drop-down.
Note: If you select an “Other” category for Moving On Assistance Provided, VA SSVF Service, or HUD-VASH Voucher Tracking services, the staff member who records the service item transaction in a client record will be required to enter a description of the service item via a required "Other - Specify" text field.
Delivery Type: there are four delivery types:
- Long Term: users select a Start and End Date when recording a service item with a "Long Term" Delivery Type. The End Date can be more than 180 days after the Start Date.
- Single Event: users select an Event Date, which will be recorded as the Service Item Start and End Date. This configuration ensure that an incorrect End Date will not be recorded for service items associated with a single date.
- We recommend configuring the following service items with the “Single Event” Delivery Type, since they are always associated with a single date: 4.20 Coordinated Entry Event (1-9), W1 Services Provided - HOPWA, W2 Financial Assistance- HOPWA, P1 Services Provided - PATH Funded, P2 Referrals Provided - PATH, R14 RHY Service Connections, V2 Services Provided - SSVF, V3 - Financial Assistance - SSVF, and V8 HUD-VASH Voucher Tracking.
- We also recommend using the “Single Event” Delivery Type for service items with Enable Geolocation toggled on, in order to associate the location with a single date.
- Daily Attendance: Service Items with a Delivery Type of "Daily Attendance" or "Multiple Attendance" can be recorded in the client record (if Service Option is enabled - see below) or in the Attendance Module. Both have additional configuration options specific to the Attendance Module. Users can record Service Items with a Delivery Type of "Daily Attendance" once per day or once with an End Date up to 180 days after the Start Date.
- Multiple Attendance: users select a Date and Time when recording a Service Item with a Delivery Type of "Multiple Attendance" and can record these Service Items multiple times per day.
If you select "Daily Attendance" or "Multiple Attendance," additional data fields will appear.
- Services Option: enabling this setting allows the service item to be accessed from the client record (agency-level SERVICES tab and/or program-level Provide Services tab, depending on the service's Program Options) or the Attendance Module. If this setting is toggled off, the service item will only be available in the Attendance Module.
- Attendance History Assist: how recently clients will need to have received the service to appear in the Quick Add section of the Attendance Module.
- Default Intake Model: this setting allows you to designate whether the default method for recording the service item in the Attendance Module is "Scanned" or "Manual." Both methods can still be used when recording the service item regardless of the default method.
- Require Program Enrollment (this option only appears if "Programs Only" is selected in Program Options): when this setting is enabled, staff members will be unable to record a service item in the Attendance Module for clients not enrolled in one of the programs designated in Program Options. Instead of an "Add" option beside their name, "Not Enrolled" will display. For information on how this setting impacts reservation services, see Service Item Housing Options: Reservations.
- Require Release of Information: toggling this on will require the client to have an active ROI to receive the service.
- Enable Public Alert Banner: when this setting is toggled on, the system displays an icon in the Attendance Module for clients who have active Public Alerts. Users can hover over the icon to view a pop-up containing a link to open a new browser tab for viewing the alert.
Group Placement Option: allows the staff member to select and record the service item for additional household members.
Availability Start/End Dates: the dates the service item became available and unavailable to clients. End Date can be left blank until the service item is no longer available.
Geocode: the geocode is a marker administered by The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It's a 6-digit number that corresponds to a particular geographic location within a Continuum of Care (CoC). You can find a complete list of geocodes on the HUD Exchange.
Enable Accounts: allows Account Options to be associated with the service item.
Enable Geolocations: allows geolocation information to be associated with the service item.
If you select a Delivery Type of "Daily Attendance" for a service that has a Site Type of "Residential: special needs and non-special needs" or "Residential: special needs," you will see a RESERVATION OPTIONS section. Refer to the Service Item Housing Options: Reservations article for more information.
The FUNDING OPTIONS section of the page allows financial information to be associated with the service item. Refer to the Service Item Options: Funding article for more information.
Time Tracking Options
If Service Taxonomy is configured for your system, you will see a SERVICE TAXONOMY section for adding one or more taxonomy classifications to the service item.
To add a classification, click ADD CLASSIFICATION.
The ADD SERVICE TAXONOMY pop-up appears. Select a Category, then begin typing the name or code of the associated Taxonomy item. As you type, selection options will appear. Select from the list and click ADD.
Once you have configured the service items, return to the main service page and complete the Program Options section if you have not already done so.
Editing Existing Service Items
Hover over the service item and click either the edit or the trash can icon.
Changing a Service Item's Delivery Type
Once you save a Service Item, you cannot change the Delivery Type value. If you want to record a Service Item with a different Delivery Type, you will need to record an End Availability date for the existing service item and then create a new service item. After the End Availability date has passed, users will no longer see the old service item when recording services in a client record.
Note: To maintain a historical record of the service setup, add an End Availability date to the former Service Item instead of deleting it.