To provide accurate reporting of HUD Data Element 4.14 (Bed-Night Date), follow the steps listed below when configuring Programs for Emergency Shelters that use the Night-by-Night tracking method.
Creating the Program
Navigate to MANAGE > PROGRAMS > ADD NEW PROGRAM. Follow the steps listed in our How To Set Up a Program: Detailed Instructions article, making sure to set the Program Type and Method of Tracking settings as follows:
- For the Program Type, select “Emergency Shelter.”
- For the Method of Tracking, select “Night-by-Night.”
Creating the Service
Navigate to MANAGE > SERVICES > ADD NEW SERVICE. Follow the steps listed in our Introduction to Services article, making sure to set the Category and Site Type settings as follows:
- For the Service Category, select “Housing.”
- For the Site Type, select either “Residential: special needs and non-special needs” or ”Residential: special needs only.”
After you click SAVE CHANGES, scroll down to the PROGRAM OPTIONS section of the SERVICES: DETAIL page.
- Select “Programs Only” for the Program Usage field.
- Turn on the toggle for this Program.
Creating the Service Item
Remain on the SERVICES: DETAIL page and scroll down to the SERVICE ITEMS section. Click ADD ITEM and follow the steps listed in our Creating and Editing Service Items article, making sure to set the Delivery Type as “Daily Attendance.”
Once you select “Daily Attendance,” additional options appear that include the following:
- The Services Option toggle appears. Enable this option if you want the service item to be accessed from either the client record SERVICES tab or the Attendance Module. If this setting is toggled off, the service item will only be available in the Attendance Module.
- A RESERVATION OPTIONS section appears. Refer to Service Item Housing Options: Reservations for details.
Link with Attendance
An additional step is available that allows you to view HOUSING AVAILABILITY data in chart form on the following pages in the client record:
To enable this function, you must link the service item with the Program as follows:
- Return to MANAGE > PROGRAMS, and click the Edit icon for the Program you created.
- In the Program Resources sidebar, click Attendance.
- On the ATTENDANCE page, click LINK WITH ATTENDANCE.
- On the LINK WITH ATTENDANCE pop-up, select the service item you just created, then click ADD.
- The service item is now displayed in the ATTENDANCE section for the Program.